Getting the right hold of the right program takes discipline and relationship building. Start with finding the right program for you. Keep up with your strengthening training, stay in touch with every coach with a prospective program, develop your highlight tape and pin down your program. Below is your wrestling recruiting timeline, broken down by year.
Freshmen Year: Plan. Highlight Tape. Make contacts.
- Create a list of 50-100 prospective schools, research 2-3 a week
- Fill out questionnaires and start to think about schools you would like to visit
- Send introduction letters to coaches
- Email and follow up with coaches at every level
- Get an evaluation of your wrestling skills
- Get your highlight tape ready
- Plan on 3 unofficial visits
- Make college visits over the summer
Tips from Wrestling Expert:
- DI and DII coaches can’t contact you personally until Junior year, but if you’re proactive they can pick up the phone when YOU call
- Coaches begin to offer top players during Sophomore Year
Sophomore Year: Proactive. Strengthen Relationships.
- Continue to send letters to coaches, fill out questionnaires
- Follow-up and make calls to coaches in prospective programs
- Make your highlight film
Tips from Expert:
- DIII and NAIA can contact you at anytime, its important to keep building the relationship
- DI and DII coaches can’t personally contact you, but YOU can contact them with a letter
- Keep building strength in by putting time in the weight room and making good grades
Junior Year: Big Year.
- Keep emailing and making calls to coaches
- Respond to EVERY coach
- Fill out the questionnaires
- Film your matches and make highlight tape
- Invite coaches to matches and tournaments
- Make visits to colleges
Tips from Expert:
- If you haven’t heard from DI, start considering DII, DIII, NAIA programs
- DI and DII coaches will start to make offers
Senior Year: Pin down your program.
- Call coaches, ask questions, and fill out questionnaires
- Learn about college application process
- Make official visits- you are only allowed 5
- Find out where you stand on recruiting list
- Regular signing period is in April
Build your free profile
Get evaluated by a scout
Get matched with coaches