College wrestling scouts need to be picky, because there are only roughly 300 colleges that have wrestling programs. NCSA can help make sure that you do every little thing possible to stand out when being recruited for wrestling.
1. Develop your game plan and get evaluated by a third party. Wrestling scouts don’t always have the time or budgets to travel and see wrestling recruits in person. But they do rely on evaluations coming from a trusted source like NCSA. Because NCSA is a neutral third party, we provide honest answers about your skill level and help you set realistic goals.
2. Post your academic/athletic resume online. NCSA has the largest digital platform available for high school athletes. When a wrestling recruit posts a resume and highlight video online, it becomes instantly visible to hundreds of wrestling scouts.
3. Create a winning highlight video showcasing your wrestling skills.
Wrestling scouting isn’t easy because coaches may not be able to frequently travel and see recruits in person. That’s why a highlight video is essential. Wrestling scouts want to see that you’re a well-rounded wrestler. Have your video show takedowns, escapes, falls, pins, throws and reversals. Show that you’re confident on the mat, and also prove that you can go the distance by showing close matches.
4. Contact as many realistic wrestling programs as you can. Roughly 300 colleges have wrestling programs. Using NCSA’s digital space makes being a recruit for college wrestling easier and lets you get your information to dozens of prospective schools. Realize that the majority of wrestlers aren’t in Division I. Nearly 70% of college wrestlers compete at the Division II, Division III, NAIA or junior college level.
5. Know that it’s not a four-year decision. It’s a 40-year decision. Choosing a college is one of the most important decisions that you’ll make in life. Do your research so that you can make an educated decision, not only as wrestling recruit, but also as a student. Input from a neutral third party like NCSA can help you find a school that’s right for you.
Know your stuff?
You’ve got the top five things to do under your belt.
Build your free profile
Get evaluated by a scout
Get matched with coaches