Being a student-athlete has made me understand that both academics and sports are of equal importance to my life. Focus is the most important word I have learned to date. Without this, neither of my goals can be fulfilled. I am a setter and have been trained in every position. I have been a starter each year, and my flexibility to play many positions has made me an integral part of my Club team.
I am a multi-sport athlete. To follow are some of my athletic highlights:
- MVP of my varsity volleyball team 4 years in a row.
- Shooting guard on the varsity basketball team and was named All-star player of the tournament at the CISAA National Championships.
- MVP of my varsity basketball team for 5 years in a row.
- MVP Varsity Track and Field Team for 7 years in a row.
- Won the city and regional championships in High Jump, Shotput and Javelin and qualified to compete in the Ontario Provincial Championships (OFSAA).
- Female Athlete of the Year at my school for 2 years in a row and one of 4 nominees for 4 years.
Dedicating 10 to 15 of my extra-curricular hours per week to a rigorous fitness regimen and volleyball schedule has given me the physical and mental strength, and shaped my cooperative, and competitive spirit.
I have grown as a person and player by learning from trainers and coaches, adopting a strategy and applying it on and off the court. My coaches tell me I do very well at connecting with my teammates regardless of their temperament, and ability to bring out the best in each player. I have consistently been an honor roll student and have balanced my academic achievements and athletic goals. Sometimes it is difficult but I have learned that success is based on sacrifice. Volleyball has given me my life motto, a phrase which I see every time I unlock my phone, the phrase which I live by: “sacrifice or regret”.
Academically, I would like to join a university that can help me learn and grow to my full potential. I plan to pursue psychology and business. My desire is to become part of a varsity volleyball team that I can grow with and contribute to their success.