Jun 13, 2019
“Welcome and thank you for clicking that button to see what the Kaskaskia College Blue Angel softball program is all about! For the fall of 2019, we will be under new management. First year coach, John Barnes, will enter his first full campaign with 20 years experience in elite level travel-ball, jr. high school, high school, NAIA D-1, and NCAA D-3. Coach Barnes has experienced tremendous success, while winning championships at every level. His program is in rebuild mode, establishing a different culture, but scheduled to be competitive in a very strong JUCO D-1 conference within the year. This starts with hard work with this year's upcoming squad and by recruiting only above average athletes for years to come. To be the best, we have to recruit the best! Here is Kaskaskia College's list of qualities we look for in our recruits:
- Wanted: Players who are first and foremost believers that softball is a game....meant for FUN!
- Wanted: Players who are well-rounded, well-mannered, and know that their education is first priority.
- Wanted: Players who EXPECT TO WIN, having experienced success and understand the demands and sacrifices of winning championships at a high level.
- Wanted: Players who are COACHABLE: possessing the hunger and passion to listen, learn, and apply, with the willingness to be selfless, yet maintaining their competitive edge.
- Wanted: Players who possess the personality and character traits that exemplify the meaning of being a loyal and true TEAMMATE.
- Wanted: Pitchers who are COMPLETE and not just throwers, (velocity of 60+, variety of effective pitches, control for expanded locations, and educated in sound mechanics).
- Wanted: Position players who are flat out ATHLETES with above average foot-speed, high softball IQ, and the versatility/willingness to play additional positions.
- Wanted: Hitters who possess above average hand-eye coordination, a mature approach, solid yet adaptable mechanics, ability to hit for high average/power, and proven ability/success in facing D-1 quality pitching....oh and we love slappers! (would like to have two or three slappers that can effectively execute in our everyday lineup)
Be advised that practices are very organized and efficient; access to indoor and outdoor facilities; usually 5 days a week (weekends off); duration of 2 hours; consisting of conditioning/weightlifting, offense, defense, and pitching routines, with additional troubleshooting/repair or strategy sessions. Note that classes come first...In the event of a conflict, players can make up practice sessions and are never punished for missing. We take extreme pride in our Academic All-Americans!
Be advised that games are any days of the week, with a 15-20 game fall season, lasting from mid September to mid October. Competition for the fall season will consist of a mixture of JUCO, NAIA, and NCAA of all divisions. We are always looking to expose our players to future coaches/teams. Spring season will begin in late February and last to mid May, depending on our post season run, and will consist of 50-60 games (36 conference games). Spring break plans will consist of either South Carolina or Florida, in which each player will be required to help fundraise for.
Be advised that our roster is currently and has traditionally reached its full capacity. Which is 24 players by JUCO regulations. While under Coach Barnes, we are looking to downsize after the 2020 season by carrying 15-18 players. With that limit on the roster size, every player will receive scholarship opportunities. Our institution and administration is tremendously committed in facilitating everything we need financially for our program to succeed. Now all we need is you!
Again, thank you for your interest in our softball program! We use NCSA as a valuable recruiting tool, so we hope to hear from you and look forward to recruiting you! Please discuss us with your parents and check out our website together. If you still have an interest, complete our questionnaire below and/or contact us. After we view your profile, we will consider if you and your skill set are a fit. If you are, you will then receive an email from us, which means that we feel you can be an asset to our program. Note: If you are interested please click that you are "interested in our school" while visiting our profile (this helps us judge your level of commitment). Thanks again and good Luck in your search for a college and following your dream! God willing, you just might be a future Blue Angel.
Head Softball Coach
—Coach John Barnes
Softball Academic Minimums
(out of 4.0)
(out of 1600)
(out of 36)