We are counting down the Top 15 schools in our 11th Annual NCSA Collegiate Power Rankings which will launch Tuesday, September 3rd. This year #13 is Bowdoin College in Maine. Below are 8 fun facts about Bowdoin College.
- Colors – Black and White
- Mascot – Polar Bear – a bear native largely within the Arctic Circle encompassing the Arctic Ocean, its surrounding seas and surrounding land masses.
- NESCAC – New England Small College Athletic Conference
- Harriet Beecher Stowe, “the little lady who started this big war,” started writing her influential anti-slavery novel Uncle Tom’s Cabin in Bowdoin’s Appleton Hall while her husband was teaching at the College
- In 2004, Bowdoin became the second college in the United States to elevate the women’s rugby team to varsity status
- The sailing team, which competes in the New England Intercollegiate Sailing Association (NEISA) is co-ed and was considered in 2006 to be one of the top 20 sailing teams in the nation by Sailing World magazine
- Women’s basketball and field hockey have been Bowdoin’s most successful teams.
- In 2007 the won their first NCAA National Championship in field hockey- in the next 5 years they would win four more in field hockey, track and tennis
Click here to create a recruiting profile in the NCSA Network and get the opportunity to connect with college coaches across the country , or call 866-579-6272 to speak to an NCAA-certified recruiting expert