Live Chat

Junior College Transfer Rules

Q: Why is there no information about recruiting involving junior college players?

A: You asked for it, you got it. The first thing we’ll cover is transfer rules. This is taken from the Athletes Wanted website.

You are a transfer if…
• You were ever enrolled full-time in a two or four year school.
• You ever went to practice
• You practiced or played while you were enrolled part-time

What Type of Transfer Are You?
• Qualifier: A student-athlete who has met NCAA Eligibility requirements.
• Partial Qualifier: A freshman who has met some of the academic requirements, but not all. They
o Can practice
o Can receive financial aid
o Must sit out one year
o DII Only, DI does NOT have partial qualifiers
• Non-Qualifier: An S/A who has not met academic requirements.
o Can’t practice or play
o No financial aid for one year.
o Three seasons of competition in Division I
o Automatic non-qualifier if you never registered for the clearinghouse.

When do you need permission to contact?
• If you’re now full-time in a four-year school
• A written letter from your AD (or admin/compliance).
• You may write to any NCAA college saying that you’re interested in transferring, but the new coach must not discuss transferring with you unless they have received written permission from your current school.
• If your current school will not give you a written permission to contact, you will have to sit out a year or appeal.

When DON’T you need permission?
• You are attending a NJCAA, NCCAA school.
• DIII to DIII school. In which case you use a “Self Release” to allow the second school to contact you about transferring.
o Sample self-release at

Junior College Transfer
   • If you are a two-year college transfer, you do not need a release.
• You may be required to get your degree in some cases or else you will have to sit out a year (academic year in residence).

I want to transfer
• Refer to the NCAA transfer guide and the FAQ on the NCAA site. Immediately call the NCAA (317-917-6222) to determine your eligibility status and familiarize yourself with the NCAA rules.
• Determine if you are eligible
o Did you fulfill NLI requirements?
o Are you academically in good standing?
o Are you a qualifier, partial qualifier, non-qualifier?
• Determine what release forms you need to get.
o Do you have written permission to contact?
o Coaches are required to have a transfer release in hand BEFORE speaking to a student-athlete from a four year college (scholarship or not).
o If you do not have a release the interested coach needs to inform their Compliance Officer and one will be sent to the your current institution requesting permission to contact.

About the author
Aaron Sorenson


  • My son is attending a NJCAA school in TN. He signed a Letter of Intent and was promised a full ride, the only expenses my sons would have would be his books if he would play for the school. Now, the Coach says he did not promise a full ride and my son has to pay the difference. We have learned this week my son is not the only kid he has done this to.
    My question is, can my son leave this school and this program and go to another school and play? Does he have to sit out and if so for how long? Does he have to have permission or a release letter from the Coach? If the Coach will not release him and he is unable to play for any other school for a period of time, can my son play outside the state of TN without penalty?
    Thank you for your time,
    Tonya Stewart

  • My son is a two-year college football player that will be completing his eligibity this Dec, but he won’t have enought credits to graduate, but he want to transfer to a D1 school, will he be eligible to play next Aug.or is he not able to play for one academic year in residence? Will he need a release from his JC school?

  • Hey
    I like your site and wanted to know if you would be interested in exchanging blogroll links. thank you very much in advance
    meself cant wait for your next posts.
    Good Bye

  • Hi, I recently hopped over to your web page by way of Bing. Not anything I might ordinarily browse through, however I enjoyed reading your views none the less. Thank you for creating something worth reading.

  • my son has signed a letter of intent for a junior college he has signed for 2 years and is completing his soph. year. He has good grades and will be graduating in spring. A four yr. college is interested in him NCAA Div II and wants to speak with him, visit and prctice. His curent coach contacted the college by E-mail. I saw it as the coach fwd. it to my website. My son told his coach that the DivII college wants him to come out, visit and practice. His coach now is giving him grief in allowing him to contact the DII coach. I thought that if it was not in the same division that the contact would be alright as he will not be attending this college next year and will fufill his current agreement with the NIL. I feel the coach is tring to get the DII coach to come to the school to recriut other players and use my son in the process. What is the Law for my son to go to the DII college and meet/practice with the DII college at this point/